Friday, July 5, 2013

Time keeps on ...

So, I've had a pretty lazy couple of weeks where my motivation for a number of things has literally been nonexistent. After consulting with my wife and friends, I was encouraged, but not really given the "jump-start" to my battery that I was expecting. I woke up early this morning and was boxed in by my two youngest daughters. After getting out of bed to turn my alarm off on my iPhone, I decided to just stay up. I went and sat on our couch in the RV living room/kitchen/family room/dinning room and began praying and pondering why I was in a funk. I've got a friend who thinks he wants a divorce and is not being very nice to his wife. I've had a few chats with him and told him how selfish and wrong he is, but it just does not seem to sink in. I know he is hurt and frustrated and lost, but enough is enough, take care of your wife and three kids. This has been a negative situation that is draining me more than I think. I'm just crying out to God for this man's soul to be broken and reconciled to the Father. We are also trying to determine when and where to buy a house. The RV is nice, but once we started talking about a house it seemed like our emotions went on overdrive and getting out of the RV looked really good. Now that we are going to wait a little while longer I feel better. I want to feel settled and have not felt so since I've been in the RV.

Back to sitting on the couch, I was contemplating going for a run and hitting the workout room for a few pushups, situps and pullups since I haven't done any of those uppity up things in a few months. I looked at the clock and it was 6:20. I sat there for what seemed like only a few minutes and then it was 6:35, fifteen minutes, a quarter of an hour passed in the blink of an eye and then this scripture popped into my mind: Ephesians 5:16 "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil." The last part is what caught me, as it has before. This time it was different though. This time there was a seriousness about it. This time I understood that time does not stop for anyone, including me. If I'm going to get things done and make forward progress spiritually, personally, professionally, then I have to make decisions that will help move me to towards my goals. This is all stuff that I know (in my head), and teach to my students, but have had a poor record of execution in my own daily life. I start quickly and fade even faster back to "normal" it seems. I think it mostly has to do with not having clearly defined goals and accountability. This blog post is my attempt to set some goals, publicly display them so that I will be accountable.
  1. Make an exercise schedule (I did run and do some ups this morning).
  2. Understand what the meal plan is for food.
  3. Get up early to pray, read and exercise.
  4. Create schedule app development.
  5.  Explain financial plan to Sarah so we are both on board with how much we want to save each month.
  6. Set timeline for buying house and stick to it.
  7. Be bold and share the love of Jesus as opportunities arise.
  8. Have 1 on 1's with my children.
I think that is enough to get started. These are not very specific yet, but they are a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment